New PhidgetSBC Firmware Version 1.0.4

Post by Patrick »

PhidgetSBC Firmware Update
Version: 1.0.4.20100628

-Kernel updated to 2.6.32.14
-Buildroot updated to 2010.05
-Moved to EABI
-Moved to softfloat
-Various updated packages (gcc, busybox, uclibc, etc.)

The move to EABI and softfloat should bring increased performance, as well as a higher level of conformance with many pre-built cross compilers.

*NOTE: Because of the move from OABI to EABI and the updated uclibc, any user-compiled C code will need to be recompiled.

-Patrick
richfiddler11
Phidgeteer!

Re: New PhidgetSBC Firmware Version 1.0.4

Post by richfiddler11 »

Hi Patrick,

Very nice!

I downloaded the 1.04 buildroot tarball and was able to build it successfully on Ubuntu 10.04 (I could never get version 1.03 to fully build on the same host).

FYI, I also did a very simple test cross-compiling a helloworld.c with a gcc 4.4.3 toolchain I built with crosstool-ng 1.70 (arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc) and it seemed to work just fine.

I tried the same test with the free codesourcery arm toolchain but could not get it to work -- I suspect it's because they don't provide a uclibc version.

Thanks for the work in getting this out!

Rich

[Edit] PS: one other strange thing-- I had a few binaries compiled with the old OABI toolchain and they still actually ran on the SBC with the new EABI firmware... obviously not a problem, but I don't get it (and I'm positive that I'm running the new firmware).
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

That's interesting - the Kernel does have support for OABI (EABI kernel with OABI backwards compatibility), but I had assumed that an EABI root filesystem would be incompatible with OABI binaries.

-Patrick
richfiddler11
Phidgeteer!

Post by richfiddler11 »

So I built TemperatureSensor-simple.c from the examples with the old compiler and while it does run on the SBC, the floating point numbers are all wrong... which kind of makes sense since EABI primarily affects floating point calls.

It would probably be better if the old apps just died, but there's not much you can do about it I guess.
jaromrax
Phidgetly

Post by jaromrax »

Dear Patrick,
I am missing a checksum for the firmware. I happened to upgrade with a fw that didnot download correctly an I had to make hard reset. So - this is just a comment.
cheers
jaromir
patrick wrote:PhidgetSBC Firmware Update
Version: 1.0.4.20100628

-Kernel updated to 2.6.32.14
-Buildroot updated to 2010.05
-Moved to EABI
-Moved to softfloat
-Various updated packages (gcc, busybox, uclibc, etc.)

The move to EABI and softfloat should bring increased performance, as well as a higher level of conformance with many pre-built cross compilers.

*NOTE: Because of the move from OABI to EABI and the updated uclibc, any user-compiled C code will need to be recompiled.

-Patrick
galileo

Post by galileo »

hi to everyone, i just wanted to ask why there's a problem upgrading my SBC 1070 with the latest firmware "PhidgetSBC Full (1.0.4.20101103)"???
It doesn't open the webservices in Bonjour tab...So i forced to go back to my previous firmware "phidgetsbc-full_1.0.3.20100129"...
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

When you upgraded the SBC firmware, did you also upgrade the library on your computer? Otherwise, the webservice version would probably be out of sync and you would not be able to open the Phidgets.

-Patrick
galileo

Post by galileo »

thanx Patric you were right...I want to ask you sth else now...

I have bought from you the 1070 -SBC and the 1203 PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 and the 1125 Humidity/Temperature sensor.

I'm trying to get access to my interfaces and I cannot...Only through Phidgets manager everything seems to be ok...In an y example I tried with c, i get the known message error timeout for waiting attachment.
CAn you help me on how can i get access???
I saw some of the posts in your forum an d i also tried the "InterfaceKit-simple.c" in VS2010 but nothing new came and with this one...Waht I am doing wrong???

I also checked the "phidget21.h" and in the enum definitions there are neither the 1070-SBC or 1125 sensor defined...only the 1203 interface kit...Is this the problem???

Thank you for your time...
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Have you replaced the open call in the example with an openRemote call (specifying serverID)?

-Patrick
galileo

Post by galileo »

patrick wrote:Have you replaced the open call in the example with an openRemote call (specifying serverID)?

-Patrick
thank you for your quick answer, but can you help me a little bit more...I'm newbie...If you can be more explanatory....