SBC webservice stops

General PhidgetSBC Discussion.
AndreGermain
Phidgetly

Re: SBC webservice stops

Postby AndreGermain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 am

Patrick,

the total length of the wired extender was less than 5 m. However, my experience with these has been hit and miss (I've used them for far more than just Phidgets). Since the IR which was on one was misbehaving after adding the Spatial, I clued in. It's been 3 days or rock solid run since I switched it to a powered cable extender. I'll be switching over to a single large gauge shielded cable in the future (the Phidget is hard to access). In all cases, the total length is always less than 5m. And indeed, I would expect Phidgets to be bathed in less than ideal environments, hence why I hinted that USB might not be the best connectivity? But, if one is careful with how they are set up, they are up for the job.

Glenn,

I'll draw up my system in a week or so, because...

We're off on a vacation for 1 week. Bet you'll have it all solved by then!

Cheers

glenn
Phidgeteer!

Postby glenn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Andre: Enjoy your vacation! Hopefully we'll have made some progress by the time you return.

Patrick: Quickie update: This parallel-ping experiment ran overnight but still no WSJS. (Of course, right? Ya want the thing to fail and it runs 2x longer than typical MTBF... )

Anyway.... it will fail eventually and I'll post the results.

If you have time, let me know what your thinking is on what might be causing these out-of-the-blue accept() events, if you think they're not due to WiFi link losses as I've been assuming.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:33 pm

They are most likely WiFi hiccups, just verifying assumptions.

-Patrick

glenn
Phidgeteer!

Postby glenn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:37 pm

Hmm. OK, so could these USB "hiccups" potentially be associated with the WiFi dongle itself? That might explain why (in at least some cases) the accept()s seem likely to be also associated with WiFi link loss. Maybe there are two kinds of USB hiccups? One associated with (say) the IK 0/0/4, and another with the WiFi dongle?

Just blabbing, you da man on this. As I said I know essentially nothing about USB. Maybe what I just said above about the hiccups doesn't even makes sense, I dunno.

Anyway, as I type here, I think I see that the parallel-ping experiment just stopped so let me see if it WSJSed (not sure yet). If so, I will post the logs later this evening or tmw morning...

Btw: Thanks much for all your attention on this, it's great to be working with you on it. I know you're busy and this obviously isn't the only thing on your plate, to put it mildly, so very much appreciate your time. Hopefully there will be a worthwhile payoff for you and Phidgets Inc if we can get to the bottom of this and get a robust source fix in place, maybe even rewrite some sections of the code to fix some of the worst offenses. That would take some pressure off you from folks (like moi and Andre :) ) who've been busting your chops about it for a while. :)

Anyway, let me check this expt, and will be back at ya with the logs and a posting before too long.

Regards,
Glenn

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am

Something I should confirm: Does your 1070 have the USB Hub fix applied? You can tell by looking at the resistor array to the upper-right of the 12.000 MHz crystal - it should have 2 or 4 capacitors stacked on top of it.

The fact that you're seeing USB errors at all points to a problem that should be fixable.

-Patrick

glenn
Phidgeteer!

Postby glenn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 am

>
> Does your 1070 have the USB Hub fix applied?
>

Doesn't look like it. Have a look though (see attached).
Attachments
solbox_1070.png
(1.83 MiB) Not downloaded yet

glenn
Phidgeteer!

Postby glenn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:23 pm

NOTE: I just deleted a post I made a few minutes ago because I want to update the comments in the attachment. If you've already downloaded the attachment just ignore it. I'll re-post the original message and the updated attachment. There's actually something interesting in there that I missed the first time thru and want to call your attention to it.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Looks like you do have the fix, I can see it in the picture.

-Patrick

glenn
Phidgeteer!

Postby glenn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 pm

OK, that's good. Glad I posted the photo, really wasn't sure where to look.

glenn
Phidgeteer!

Postby glenn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Patrick,

Attached is another logfile. This one is fairly heavily commented with my interpretations of what I think is going on at each stage. Please do check whether you agree, and if not please let me know to be sure we're on the same page interpreting these things.

This log ends with a nice "typical" WSJS event. Fortunately, this event occurred while I was also running the parallel ping process, but I haven't yet had time to correlate the two logs carefully, and probably won't until later today or tomorrow. But in the mean time, perhaps this log is useful because it shows a nice error sequence without any interim confounding stuff like benign USB warnings.

During the event just prior to the WSJS, something interesting happens that I don't understand, but is suggestive of a thread overrun. But it could be entirely benign, I really have no clue. Just wanted to draw your attention to it. Anyway, it's called out in the comments, see if you can make sense of it. If you understand what's going on there, please let me know.

Regards,
Glenn
Attachments
log_20130730.2015.txt
(14.86 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

Return to “General”