Looking for a good C++ editor/compiler for windows

C, C++, and Visual C++
Jkeith
Phidgetsian

Looking for a good C++ editor/compiler for windows

Postby Jkeith » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:37 am

Hello all! This is my first post here....

Basically, I am workin on becoming more proficient with C++. I am proficient with basic and autoit (my personal fav), but I have figured it is time to branch out into a more capable language. I have done a great deal of phidget programming with autoit so I am pretty familiar with how to deal with phidgets although I see some inherent and large differences with dealing with them in C++.

In the end, I am looking for a good editor/compiler for windows that uses a similar syntax as the sbc compiler. Does this exist? Also, does anyone have a good reference or starting point for working with phidgets in c++? I have already read through the api and c++ tutorial, but they leave me with many questions. I have been playing around with code blocks, but every time I compile I end up with undefined reference to '_imp_CPhidget_getDeviceName and many other similar errors...

Thanks for any help!!!

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Re: Looking for a good C++ editor/compiler for windows

Postby burley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 am

I would recommend using Visual Studio if you want to work on a Windows machine with an IDE you can use the express version for free. Alternatively if you want to compile by command line you can use something like Cygwin.

Those errors you are seeing mean that the compiler is not able to find the Phidgets header file. Take a look at the C/C++ getting started guide for more information on this. (In command line this typically means you need to add a -lphidget21)
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

HarryHase37
Fresh meat

Re: Looking for a good C++ editor/compiler for windows

Postby HarryHase37 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:16 am

I prefer Code::Blocks...

Return to “C/C++”