HOT Phidget

C, C++, and Visual C++
RogerInHawaii

HOT Phidget

Postby RogerInHawaii » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 pm

I have a Unipolar Stepper 3314 connected to a PhidgetStepperUnipolar 4- motor controller, powered by the Phidget 12-volt power supply. The stepper motor gets very hot. I"m not actually doing much with the stepper motor, just some simple tests, simple motions. But even when it just sits there doing nothing it gets too hot to touch. Is this normal?

erik
King of the Lab

Re: HOT Phidget

Postby erik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 pm

You might want to verify that the connections are correct. During the tests, does the motor spin correctly?

RogerInHawaii

Postby RogerInHawaii » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:13 pm

erik wrote:You might want to verify that the connections are correct. During the tests, does the motor spin correctly?

Yes, I can control the stepper motor just fine.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:18 pm

It's fairly normal for a stepper motor to get hot if you have it powered up while stationary. You may want to consider powering down the coils when the motor isn't moving unless you are worried about it slipping out of position.

-Patrick

RogerInHawaii

Postby RogerInHawaii » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Patrick wrote:It's fairly normal for a stepper motor to get hot if you have it powered up while stationary. You may want to consider powering down the coils when the motor isn't moving unless you are worried about it slipping out of position.

-Patrick

Would that be accomplished by setting the stepper's Engaged property to FALSE?

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Yes.

-Patrick

Return to “C/C++”