measuring water depth in a tank

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
theTroll527

Re: measuring water depth in a tank

Postby theTroll527 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 pm

The first one should work just fine. The distances shouldn't be a problem. Just need to make sure you supple the correct current (amps).

I would run three wires, do you have a good ground. You also need to run an outlet tube to the sensor.

theTroll

Ricky
Phidgetly

Postby Ricky » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:48 am

About the supply current. Does this come from the analog input on the sbc board? Or is there a seperate power supply required?

About the 3 wires. Where do they go? Two to an analog input on the sbc ? The third to a physical ground? What guage would you suggest? The three tanks vary in distance from the sbc: 15feet, 70feet, 100feet.

Thanks!

theTroll527

Postby theTroll527 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Reading up on the 8/8/8 the analog input has three pins. V+ (5v) V0 (ground) and the analog input. So the yellow from the sensor goes to the analog input, the red from the input goes to the V+ and the black to the ground.

I would go with 24-30 gauge wire, depending what is handy. The board will supply the current.

theTroll

Ricky
Phidgetly

Postby Ricky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 pm

I have installed the pressure transducer we talked about in this thread (Measurement Specialties LM) and have the three wires hooked up to one of the SBC analog inputs. In this quote you mention the outlet tube and the ground. The outlet tube from the sensor is just exposed to the surrounding air, right? About the ground I don't know. Do I have to provide a physical ground to the SBC to provide the ground? I haven't done anything like that, should I?

theTroll527 wrote:The first one should work just fine. The distances shouldn't be a problem. Just need to make sure you supple the correct current (amps).

I would run three wires, do you have a good ground. You also need to run an outlet tube to the sensor.

theTroll

More generally I am wondering if I have interfaced the Measurement Specialties LM sensor correctly. I have just connected the black, red and yellow wires of the device to the black, red and white wires of the analog input. Is this all there is to it? The SBC manual says non phidget sensors are not plug-and-play and I am not sure what that means! If I just connect the LM sensor to the analog input and have it hanging in mid air the SBC reads 90.

Thanks again for your help...

theTroll527

Postby theTroll527 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 pm

The ground just gets hooked up the the SBC ground on the analog port.

The air tub, just has to be to the open air. Now I would suggest using the air in the tank, not on the outside, just so you don't have any wind.

theTroll

Ricky
Phidgetly

Postby Ricky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:18 am

Thanks, I was wondering if the SBC needed to be grounded, it seems not.

What about interfacing the sensor and the SBC, is it as simple as connecting the three wires?

SBC - MEAS LM sensor
ground (black) - ground (black)
5V (red) - 5V (red)
input (white) - output (yellow)

erik
King of the Lab

Postby erik » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:43 am

Yes, it is just that simple.

Ricky
Phidgetly

Postby Ricky » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:17 pm

I hooked up one and it works great. I have two more tanks and it would be convienent if I could run a common black common line for the sensors for all three tanks. Better yet if I could run a common red 5V line. Can several sensors (three) use the same 5V red and black common line, with only the white line being unique to each of the sensors?

In other words from the SBC do I have to run a seperate black, red and white line for each sensor?

erik
King of the Lab

Postby erik » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:33 am

The red and black wires all all connected to the same voltage and ground on the board, so you do not need individual sets of 3-wires to each sensor. As you said, only the white wire is sensor specific.

Return to “Sensors”