Unable to get Max examples working

Supporting Max/MSP versions 6 and up
IanBloomfield
Phidgetly

Unable to get Max examples working

Post by IanBloomfield »

Hello

I thought I would try max as a GUI interface seemed like it might be easier, I have downloaded max 7 from 74 cycling. and have downloaded the max/MXP library and put it into my library folder as it shows.

there are no max help files in the latest version of the library and I can't seem to get the MXE files to open? what am I missing here?
IanBloomfield
Phidgetly

Re: Unable to get Max examples working

Post by IanBloomfield »

I have found the Maxhelp files in an older version and have moved the MXE to the externals folder.

None of the buttons on the help folder work, my phidgets are connected as I have had them work through examples in other programs. But it doesn't do anything through the spatial example.

if I am connected via VINT do I need to add in PhidgetInterface? then connect this to the spatial or will the examples not work anymore? the documentation pages all relate to older versions and I see no one has posted on the Max/MSP page for a while so I'm not sure if I need to be using older versions? On the face of it the program seems very straightforward for me with no programming knowledge I just can't get my buttons to work?
IanBloomfield
Phidgetly

Post by IanBloomfield »

I have a massive step forward, though a lot of fiddling and downloading of multiple paths examples etc, I now have working Phidgets.

I have created two phidget spatial samplers that produce the accel and gyroscope data. I tagged in the Hubport relevant to each.

I thought it would be good to put in a filter so as I am sampling data I could use either a median or mean filter to dampen the results so the phidget would sample at 100ms and the filter would take the average over 5 beats? so I'm getting 2 readings a second.

I've tried the zl median (message box) but I can't get any output from it?

then I have to work out how to output these numbers to a .CSV file for output. This is a very nice platform though incredibly simple to fiddle around with
jdecoux
Labview Developer

Post by jdecoux »

Hi,

The examples for Max/MSP with Phidget22 are available in the Example Code section of the Max/MSP Language page, located at https://www.phidgets.com/docs/Language_ ... ample_Code.

The examples are the .maxhelp files contained in the examples folder of the .zip file.

The language page also contains all the relevant information to get your Phidgets working in the Write Code section.

The PhidgetInterfaceKit object is a standalone object from the Phidget21 library that works with devices like the 1018, and does not chain with other Phidget objects.

If you find yourself stuck in documentation for the older Phidget21 library, you can click the tab labeled To Phidget22 at the top-right of the page.

When filtering sensor data, I would recommend using the mean of your data as a moving average filter, rather than the median.

For the best results when tracking motion, you should be sampling as quickly as possible, which is every 20ms for all current VINT-based spatial Phidgets. This information can be found in the API page for your Phidget at https://www.phidgets.com/?view=api, by selecting your Phidget from the drop-down menu.

As for the zl functions, and other Max/MSP-specific information, that is outside our domain, and I will have to point you to their documentation: https://docs.cycling74.com/max7/maxobject/zl
IanBloomfield
Phidgetly

Post by IanBloomfield »

Thanks, I actually managed to get it working last night. I think I must have copied the wrong library in as the examples in my new one used the phidget.22 language.

So now I successfully have two phidgets recording, I'll take you advice and change the recording frequency.

Then as you say all the phidgets coding is done and it's just outputting the max data. This seems so easy I want to try and incorporate the sums to have the phidgets as a position sensor also.

I'm totally excited now.

Thanks