Phidget 1129 on Max without interface kit?

Supporting Max/MSP versions 6 and up
ootheomikeoo

Phidget 1129 on Max without interface kit?

Postby ootheomikeoo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:33 am

Hi, im currently doing a university project on MaxMSP, and i wanted to use a phidget as part of it. i bought an 1129, but i wanted to try to communicate without using an (expensive) interface kit. I was going to try using a voltage regulator (LM3940 i think?) and a male USB. could anyone tell me if they have tried anything similar or suggest any alternatives? I'd really rather not pay out for an interface kit if possible, as the regulators are only about £1.60...

thanks!

erik
King of the Lab

Re: Phidget 1129 on Max without interface kit?

Postby erik » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 am

The 1129 is an analog sensor and cannot be connected directly to USB, hence the need for the InterfaceKit.

In order to use the 1129 with your own custom circuit, along with the voltage regulator and male USB connector, you would need to also get an ADC and a microcontroller with USB slave, decoupling capacitors and other electronic components, do the circuit board and component layout, build the circuit board, write some firmware for the microcontroller, then write a USB driver to get the data into your PC, and then you can finally get to writing the MaxMSP application.

What I'm trying to point out is that with our InterfaceKit, you get to skip everything except writing the MaxMSP app.

Return to “Max/MSP”