Max/MSP PhidgetRFID object doesn't support multiple readers?

Supporting Max/MSP versions 6 and up
dtr

Max/MSP PhidgetRFID object doesn't support multiple readers?

Postby dtr » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:09 am

hi phidgetters,

i am experimenting with reading out 2 PhidgetRFID interfaces in a Max/MSP script. now it seems that i cannot make the supplied PhidgetRFID object read out a specific interface using it's ID so i cannot make both interfaces work at the same time. is this correct and do i need to modify the object myself so it does (which would be hard because of my limited coding knowledge)?

greets, dieter

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:17 am

Without seeing a project, it's difficult for us to help. Perhaps you can email us something. Sales@phidgets.com

Chester

dtr

Postby dtr » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:11 am

Done.

This in response to my thread on the forum: http://www.phidgets.com/index.php?name= ... 25&start=0. There is no actual project, as asked for, at the moment but I don't think it matters.

What I want to do is read the input of 2 PhidgetRFID interfaces connected to my Mac (OS X 10.3.9) in Max/MSP 4.5 with your supplied PhidgetRFID Max/MSP object. This doesn't work because I cannot tell the object to read a specific interface by it's ID. I can see the 2 ID's in the 'Phidget Manager' example tool so I'm sure there must be a way to select 'm individually in scripts. Is it possible with your Max/MSP object or must the source code be edited for it? I'm not a scripting wizzkid so that might be a bit difficult for me...

I've been fooling around a bit more and I think it's caused by a bug in the Max object. I also have 2 PhidgetAccelerometers here I can read out both of them at the same time by supplying their respective interface ID's as arguments to 2 PhidgetAccelerometer Max/MSP objects. When I do the same trick with RFID object the output doesn't work as expected BUT with the 'getSerial' message I do get the right ID's as outputs and I can light the internal LED's on the 2 interfaces as expected. This leads me to thinking that there's a bug in the PhidgetAccelerometer Max/MSP object when 2 interfaces are involved.

any ideas?

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:59 pm

We'll have to look at this next week. Our MAX/MSP guy is taking time off right now. Just curious - does your program work as expected with a single rfid reader?

Chester

dtr

Postby dtr » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:45 am

yes it does. i'll email 2 Max/MSP patches, the single-reader one that works and the two-reader one that doesn't.

dieter

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi,

I tried out your example that uses two readers and it didn't give me any problems, both readers read fine. I'm wondering if maybe you have the two readers really close to each other so that they would be interfering with each other? There doesn't seem to be any problems with the library or Max objects...

-Patrick

dtr

Postby dtr » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:02 am

i finally could give it another try (the phidgets aren't mine) and it worked fine this time! beats me... but i won't complain about it ;)

thanks for your response!

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:41 am

Hey,
We are two students form TU/eindhoven, The Netherlands and we have a question about this topic: using two RFID readers. We can't make it work. We want to make a game (something like tennis) Every bad as an RFID reader, but the biggest problem is that we can't make it work.

Thanks ELke And Pavan

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:27 am

What operating system and what language? Is it Max/MSP you want to use?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hey,
We are two students form TU/eindhoven, The Netherlands and we have a question about this topic: using two RFID readers. We can't make it work. We want to make a game (something like tennis) Every bad as an RFID reader, but the biggest problem is that we can't make it work.

Thanks ELke And Pavan

hi guys, i'm a researcher at TU Delft, the Netherlands ;)
i can send you my max/msp patch if you want, just give me an email address. i'm on holidays till the 10th of august though. no access to the files right now.

greets, dieter

Return to “Max/MSP”