1057_2 Quad Encoder Tachometer

Supporting Visual Studio on Windows
dondiggy
Fresh meat

1057_2 Quad Encoder Tachometer

Postby dondiggy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Does anybody have suggestions as to which methods or functions to use within the Phidget Encoder API to implement a tachometer display?

I've been digging around the Phidget .NET libraries, and I've been drawing a blank as to the best way to implement a tachometer function using the 1057_2 Quadrature Encoder Phidget.

Any help, suggestions, or ideas are much appreciated. I'll be sure to post anything I come up with as well to help any future coders! Thanks in advance!

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Re: 1057_2 Quad Encoder Tachometer

Postby burley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:05 am

Well, the exact math depends on the specific encoder you are using but in general:

Getting RPM out of an encoder is just a matter of converting units around. The encoder signal will output in pulses on the A and B channel. The 1057 reports each rising or falling edge so there will be 4 measurements per full cycle.

The CPR of your encoder tells you how many cycles there are per revolution. Multiply that by 4 and you will have the number of data points the 1057 will generate on one revolution. Track the number of those per unit time, and you can convert it into RPM fairly easily from there.

How you actually want to display the data is up to you. Either just a digital readout or some sort of custom dial control (for example).
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

Return to “C#.NET”