Manager collection of devices, and a TextLCD

Supporting Visual Studio on Windows
Lincon
Phidgetsian

Manager collection of devices, and a TextLCD

Postby Lincon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:58 am

Hello everyone,,

I'm writing a little management app to help diagnose problems and check various settings. I use a Manager instance with attach/detach/error events as you might imagine. FOr attached devices, I show those in a treeview.

Later, when the user clicks on an item in the treeview, I find the matching device in the manager hazard perception test nsw.Devices collection - but something isn't right.

For example, with the TextLCD object - it's .Attached property will be true, but it shows as having 0 screens. If I try to modify any properties, they time out.

Is this a valid place to get a handle on the connected device, or should I create my own instance of TextLCD and do a .open(serial) - which I tried, and got the same results.

Before I go too far down the rabbit-hole, I wanted to see if I was doing something blatantly wrong, here. Thanks for any input...
Last edited by Lincon on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Manager collection of devices, and a TextLCD

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 pm

It's valid to hang onto handles the Manager gives you, but you will need to open() them and wait for attach before you can interact with them / poll device specific properties. .Attached in the context of a Manager Phidget just means that it is attached to the system.

-Patrick

Return to “C#.NET”