VB5 Runtime error

Legacy support with Phidget21
phid7XY60
Fresh meat

VB5 Runtime error

Postby phid7XY60 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:21 am

Hi,
I'm not even sure you can run Phidgets with VB5 but that's what I'm trying. First I validated a 1010 OEM IC version of the 8/8/8 on a protoboard with the interfacekit-simple.exe program you supply precompiled. This ran ok, the phidget reading switchs and voltage dividers, and lighting LEDs.

I used your installer and the app in the taskbar works too. I checked in VB5 and in project/references I see the Phidget Library 2.1 is checked. I also checked project/components and see the Phidget Library 2.1 checked there too.

So I took the VB6 references, like "Retained" out of the .vbp file as VB5 protests about these, and loaded the interfacekit-simple.vbp project into the IDE.

If I try to run the program in interpreted mode from the IDE I get an error 438. "object doesn't support this property or method." Using Debug it shows the program hanging on the following line:

Set phidgetIFK = Controls.Add(phidget21.Com.PhidgetInterfaceKit", "phidgetIFK")

Maybe VB5 is just incompatible, or something else is wrong like my compiler not being pointed in the right direction. Any comments welcome.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: VB5 Runtime error

Postby Patrick » Thu May 22, 2014 12:16 pm

VB5 is not supported. When we last looked at it 8 years ago, we were not able to get it working.

-Patrick

phid7XY60
Fresh meat

Postby phid7XY60 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Patrick, yeah I didn't really think so but I thought I'd give it a try. Fortunately I've been working with Java, as VB is no longer supported by MS.

One last question would be whether the freebie version of .NET is supported?

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Thu May 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Yes, Visual Studio Express is probably the most common development environment for Phidgets on Windows.

-Patrick

Return to “VB 6.0”