Having some problems, please help

Legacy support with Phidget21
bjones
Fresh meat

Having some problems, please help

Postby bjones » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 am

My project is to integrate the Phidget Spatial 0/0/3 into an existing VB6 application.

My development system is running win7/64 and VB6.

Install:
* Ran the Phidget-x64_2.1.8.20121015.exe installer. Install went ok.
* Phidgets Control Panel runs ok. I can see the 3 axis of the accelormeter are working fine. So I know USB is ok.
* COM dll is registered here... C:\Program Files\Phidgets\Phidget21COM.dll

After install:
* a phidget DLL is installed here C:\Windows\System32\phidget21.dll, size = 1.30 MB (1,364,992 bytes)
* another phidget DLL is also installed here C:\Windows\SysWOW64\phidget21.dll, size = 1.10 MB (1,161,728 bytes)

VB6 IDE:
* The icons for the Phidget components are all black in the Control Toolbox. Is it possible to fix that?
* The Phidget Library 2.1 is checked in the controls and located C:\Program Files\Phidgets\x86\Phidget21COM.dll
* References is checked and located C:\Program Files\Phidgets\x86\Phidget21COM.oca

Running VB examples:
* Run the HelloWorld.vbp example...it starts ok. Lists the single Phidget I have connected...ie "Hello Device PhidgetSpatial, Serial Number: xxxxxx". Seems fine.

* When I load and run the accelerometer-simple.vbp..it loads and runs without error, but there is no information from the phidget, all boxes are blank. Compiling and running is same. With debug breakpoints, the Call phidgetAccel.Open seems to be ok, but code never gets to sub phidgetAccel_OnAttach(). I tried adding phidgetAccel.WaitforAttachment (3000) after open, didnt help.

* When I run the VB6 example C:\Program Files\Phidgets\Examples\Accelerometer-full.exe, the app starts without errors, but there is no information from the phidget, all boxes are blank.

So the bottomline, somethings are working, some are not. I want to get the examples working and understand them before I start coding for my application.

I read the note in the Windows OS pdf regarding Logitech quickcams causing problems. I do have several Logitech webcams installed. I killed the LWS.exe process, but it didnt seem to help. My final application will require the use of Logitech webcams and the Phidget device, so if that is the problem, I will need a workaround.

Can someone please help me get things working properly?

Thanks

bjones
Fresh meat

Re: Having some problems, please help

Postby bjones » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:12 am

Additional info....

I installed phidgets(Phidget-x64_2.1.8.20121015.exe) on a laptop. Laptop also running win7/64.

* Phidgets control panel works fine, sees phidget and accelerometer working fine.
* Ran the Accelerometer-full.exe example. Does not work.
* I uninstalled the Logitech webcam software from the laptop, rebooted and ran the Accelerometer-full.exe example again, still does not work.

I do not have the vb6 development program on the laptop, so cant run the vb6 source code example.

I also installed phidgets(Phidget-x32_2.1.8.20121015.exe) on a laptop running win7/32.

* Same results as above for win7/64 laptop.

I dont think the Logitech webcam driver/software is related to this problem.
Last edited by bjones on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjones
Fresh meat

Postby bjones » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Here what the controls toolbox looks like...
Attachments
controls.jpg
controls.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 5630 times

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Postby burley » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:37 am

What IDE are you using? In my experience VB6 IDEs do not run well on Windows 7. I typically have to revert to XP when I want to do anything with VB6. Whether this is a 64-bit issue or something else I can't say.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

bjones
Fresh meat

Postby bjones » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:54 am

I was digging through the forum again and found what I THINK is the problem. The phidget I have is the Spatial(1041_0 - PhidgetSpatial 0/0/3 Basic) that measures acceleration . When I try the vb6 spatial example, the phidget attaches! I was using the accelerometer example...aaarrgg!

VB6 works fine in win7. I been using it for a long time. There was something I had to do initially to get it working. I forget what it was.

Cheers

Powergrid
Fresh meat

Postby Powergrid » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 am

I just installed VB6 onto a Win7Pro 64bit platform today.

All went well after using the minor tricks needed to get that done.

The Phidgit install seemed to go well also except all the icons in the toolbox are black as mentioned above. :?

Any idea how to correct that? :?:

Thanks!

Return to “VB 6.0”