new sbc toy ... how to ssh

Supporting 2.6 and up
bobicanprogram
Phidgetly

new sbc toy ... how to ssh

Postby bobicanprogram » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:49 pm

I want to do the basics with my brand new SBC. How do I ssh to the box and login? I read in the manual that the ssh interface is not enabled by default. If so which interface is enabled by default? http? How do I "discover" what IP address my router assigned to the SBC?

I am comfortable interfacing to a Linux system on the command line. I do it all the time on my Linode.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bob

erik
King of the Lab

Re: new sbc toy ... how to ssh

Postby erik » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 pm

If you have the drivers installed, the Phidget Control Panel has a tab that shows SBCs that are connected to the network, showing you the associated MDNS hostname and the IP address. If you enter either one of those into a browser (or double-click the device), you will be brought to the web interface. Under the Network link, you can enable the SSH server.

Alternatively, you can check your router's logs in the web interface for the IP address that got assigned, and enter that into a browser.

bobicanprogram
Phidgetly

Postby bobicanprogram » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:28 am

Thanks. As I reread the SBC manual again I recognized that not all of it was talking about the Windows interface, but that a good chunk was talking about the straight web interface. I was able to find the IP address from my Linksys router DHCP table. When I pointed my browser at the SBC address the web interface came up. Through that web interface I was able to enable the SSH interface.

Couple of "mysteries" still to figure out. I was unable to run apt-get install build-essential from my ssh console. I did find a place in the web interface to install the C/C++ tools which effectively did the same thing. That is sufficient to get me moving on my project, but it would be nice to know how to get apt-get working.

Thanks again for your help.

bob

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Postby burley » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:21 am

Did you try running it as root?
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

erik
King of the Lab

Postby erik » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:00 am

In the Web Interface, under System-->Packages, make sure that "Include full Debian Package Repository" is also checked.

Return to “Linux”