Is there any documentation on how to get the current Phidget 3/3/3 imu working with ROS

Supporting 2.6 and up
Matthewfwork
Fresh meat

Is there any documentation on how to get the current Phidget 3/3/3 imu working with ROS

Post by Matthewfwork »

I just bought this imu from phidget https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid= ... rodid=1204 and was trying to get it working with ROS. I installed the required packages and noticed that the libraries have been updated. I went through that process as well and when trying to launch the ROS package associated with. I am having no luck getting it to work. Is there any documentation on getting the newer phidget imus working with ROS? Thank you for any help I am very new to ros and robotics as a whole.
DroneMan2002
Fresh meat

Re: Is there any documentation on how to get the current Phidget 3/3/3 imu working with ROS

Post by DroneMan2002 »

i am also stuck on this. i did everything as it was instructed but i get an error:
ERROR] [1634736683.221199837]: Spatial: Failed to open device: Timed Out
[FATAL] [1634736683.224010814]: Failed to load nodelet '/PhidgetsSpatialNodelet` of type `phidgets_spatial/PhidgetsSpatialNodelet` to manager `imu_manager'
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Is there any documentation on how to get the current Phidget 3/3/3 imu working with ROS

Post by mparadis »

I don't know much about the ROS package since it's not written by Phidgets, but if you're getting a Timed Out error on open, it can mean a number of things:

- The channel you're trying to open is already open in another program (such as the Phidget control panel)
- The program has set the matching parameters for open that don't match with your device (e.g. if you set a DeviceSerialNumber of 222222, you'll get a timeout if you only have a device with serial number 222223 connected)
- The MOT0109 uses a new processor that's not supported in our old Phidget21 libraries, so if the version of the ROS package you're using is written using Phidget21, it won't be able to find a connected MOT0109.
DroneMan2002
Fresh meat

Post by DroneMan2002 »

The package does indeed use the liphidgets22.
But still we get device time out... :(
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

It seems like there was another user who posted on the module's github page before you with the same issue. If you can find where in the ROS code they're trying to open the IMU, you might be able to see if they're setting matching parameters in a way that causes the MOT0109 not to be detected.

Do you have other Phidgets that are detected by ROS? Does the MOT0109 show up in the Phidget Control Panel?
DroneMan2002
Fresh meat

Post by DroneMan2002 »

I have two MOT0109_0, both with the same effect.
The MOT0109_0 does appear in the phidgets control panel on windows.
I tried to look where in the package they connect to the sensor, but sadly with no luck. I can set the serial number as a parameter, and I have a print saying something like, trying to connect serial xxxx but still the same error.
I tried to reach out to the developer as well.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

DroneMan2002 wrote:The package does indeed use the liphidgets22.
But still we get device time out... :(
I had a look at the source, and it's definitely using libphidget21 NOT libphidget22 - it will need to be migrated to phidget22.

-Patrick