LibPhidget22 on Raspberry Pi 4 (buster) issues as normal user despite udev/99-libphidget22.rules

Supporting 2.6 and up
bigl00z3
Fresh meat

LibPhidget22 on Raspberry Pi 4 (buster) issues as normal user despite udev/99-libphidget22.rules

Post by bigl00z3 »

I’m using Phidgets on a Rapspberry Pi 4 running Buster for a coffee roaster running the software Artisan-scope (It’s been running great for a few years now).

Doing some cleaning on the raspberry pi to save some space, I ended up having an issue with the libphidget22 (my roasting software could not connect to the Phidgets anymore. So I tried to reinstall it.
As described in:
https://www.phidgets.com/docs/OS_-_Linux

After testing I found out that it was an issue where I can’t see the Phidgets as a normal user. This is confirmed when running the Phidget “HelloWorld” test:

./HelloWorld Does not see anything
sudo ./HelloWorld Works fine

I have of course done the udev part:

# sudo cp plat/linux/udev/99-libphidget22.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

Rebooted, but it hasn’t solved it.

I wondered if anything else had gone during my cleanup (probably should not have done it…) . So I reinstalled Raspian Buster from scratch, installed a fresh libphidget22 and I still get the same.

Of course I could run my software suing sudo but it’s not the way it should work and it was working fine up to now.

Any idea how to force phidget to be accessible as normal user and not as root? Did I miss something?

Regards

Nico
bigl00z3
Fresh meat

Re: LibPhidget22 on Raspberry Pi 4 (buster) issues as normal user despite udev/99-libphidget22.rules

Post by bigl00z3 »

OK, quick update on this one.

After quite a few emails on the Artisan mailing list (artisan-scope_dot_org/docs/community/ ) and great support from Rob Gardner, the solution was found.
you can find the email exchange on this at:

https ://lists.einfachkaffee_dot_de/hyperkitty/list/artisan-user@lists.einfachkaffee_dot_de/thread/MPIBDFDYR567ZR2TP47TRY6T5HJZGU7Z/

Just reinstalling udev fixed it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall udev

Note: As this forums doesn't allow external link but I think as they are part of the solution you should still be able to consult them, for the two url above just replace the _dot_ by a "."