Raspberry Pi installation can't find network VINT hub

Supporting 2.6 and up
gregbalco
Phidgetsian

Raspberry Pi installation can't find network VINT hub

Post by gregbalco »

Question about installation problem on a Raspberry Pi.

I have a Phidgets wireless VINT hub connected to some temperature sensors. This is in wireless mode and is on the local network. Using a laptop running Ubuntu 18.04 on the wireless network, I installed the Phidgets libraries and Python packages. The phidget22admin program successfully identifies the network hub and attached Phidgets. A short Python script to get the temperatures works fine.

Also, the Phidget control panel software running on a Mac laptop on the local network has no problem finding the hub.

The point is to get the Raspberry Pi to check the temperatures, so I installed the Phidgets libraries and Python package on the Pi using the same procedure as for the laptop. Here is the OS information for the Pi:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/os-release                                                                                                            
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
There were no obvious errors in installation. The Pi is on the local network and I can ping the network VINT hub from the Pi. However, phidget22admin cannot recognize the network hub or the attached Phidgets. Running phidget22admin -d or sudo phidget22admin -d produces no output. Also, the Python script fails at this line:

Net.enableServerDiscovery(PhidgetServerType.PHIDGETSERVER_DEVICEREMOTE)
with error info:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/Phidget22/Net .py", line 143, in enableServerDiscovery
    raise PhidgetException(result)
Phidget22.PhidgetException.PhidgetException: PhidgetException 0x1c (Unexpected Error)
Something unexpected has occured. Enable library logging and have a look at the log, or contact Phidgets support.
Oddly, the forum posting software wouldn't accept the string 'Net .py' without the space (it said "You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove Net .py"). So I had to add a space. Weird.

I tried installing the libraries on the Pi both with apt-get and also building from source. The result was the same.

Unfortunately the only Phidget device I have at the moment is the network VINT hub, so I don't have anything I can connect via USB.

Any suggestions? I am actually not sure what is meant by 'enable library logging' in this message, but 'contact Phidgets support' is pretty clear...

thanks,
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Raspberry Pi installation can't find network VINT hub

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

Make sure your Pi has Avahi client library installed. For Phidget server discovery support, Avahi is required, along with
the Avahi client library. This is usually a package called
'libavahi-client-dev' or similar.

Alternatively, use the Net.addServer API to add a server by IP instead of using network discovery.

-Patrick
gregbalco
Phidgetsian

Re: Raspberry Pi installation can't find network VINT hub

Post by gregbalco »

Yup, that seems to be the problem. Adding by IP was successful. thanks,