Measuring Natural Gas Pressure

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
james211
Fresh meat

Measuring Natural Gas Pressure

Post by james211 »

Its been brought to my attention that natural gas pressure can be measured with software and the use of a phidget. Here are the requirements. What I don't know is where to find a sensor that might work. The pressure I'd be measuring would be quite low, 0.1 - 0.2 psi. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

From the support site of the software I'm using:
Gas pressure will always be measured as a percentage. We do not support other units, as conversion between them is error-prone. Using percentage rather than other units is also in-line with our existing strategy for Giesen, Loring and Coffeetool.

This is a list of specifications that a gas pressure meter must adhere to, in order to get the best results in conjunction with Phidgets boards.

Pressure meter with an output range from 0-5V (preferred) or 4-20mA.
The output of the pressure meter must be calibratable. e.g. if the meter measures from 0-4 bar and the pressure from the roaster is 0-2 bar we must be able to set the input maximum on the pressure meter on 2 bar. Note: If this is not possible, it means that the RI will show incorrect values if the max/min value can't be reached)
The pressure output signal is expected to be between 0 and 100%. In the above example 0 bar is 0% and that 2 bar is 100%.
If the pressure meter outputs Volts (0-5V), one can connect it directly to a Phidgets 1018 or Phidget 1019 via a 3-pin 30XX sensor cable (XX means that there are different length available).
If the pressure meter outputs Milli-Ampere (4-20mA), one needs a Phidgets 1018 or Phidget 1019 as well as a Phidget 1132 (there is also an acrylic enclosure available).
There are active and passive 4-20mA loops. Which defines the physical location of the ground. Please refer to the the Phidgets 4-20mA Interface Primer which contains wiring diagrams.
Attachments
0-5v Setup
0-5v Setup
4-20mA Setup
4-20mA Setup
squarefeet
Fresh meat

Re: Measuring Natural Gas Pressure

Post by squarefeet »

The picture refers to a "calibratable gas sensor" . Can anyone recommend one? I've looked and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks!

Dave
EvansvilleCoffee
Phidgetsian

Re: Measuring Natural Gas Pressure

Post by EvansvilleCoffee »

I' coming along late here and maybe you have already solved this problem, but here was my solution. I use Dwyer Magnehelic Differential Pressure Transmitters to read both air pressure and natural gas pressure, and then use the DAQ1400 to read the signal from the transmitters. It's very reliable and the transmitters come in different pressure ranges.