Dual relay board 1/0 control

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
cuevision
Phidgetsian

Dual relay board 1/0 control

Post by cuevision »

Hi there,

Happy with Phidgets relayboards. Use 5 of them within my simulator. However I was wondering what the 0/1 control wire means/does. In the manual there is only speaking about using the control 1. I was always thinking that control 0 and 1 were corresponding to relay 1 and 2. But from the 5 dual relayboards I use, except 1 I can only use control 1 and one dual Relays board is only coming alive when using the control 0.

Any clearance on this would be appreciated very much. So thanks and I am looking forward to any reply.

Best regards,
Ed
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Dual relay board 1/0 control

Post by mparadis »

You are correct that the 0 control and the 1 control each correspond to one of the relays on the 3051. If you're not able to switch both relays on a single board at the same time, ensure that it's getting enough power (you should be supplying power and ground via the black connector). If it still doesn't work, it's possible that the relay or one of the components on the board have been damaged.
cuevision
Phidgetsian

Post by cuevision »

Hi Thanks!

Do I have to supply 5V to the 1018 8x8x8 board?

Regards,
Ed
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

The 1018 already has 5V supplied to it via USB. You can connect a 3-wire phidget cable from an analog input on the 1018 to the black connector on the 3051 in order to provide it with 5V power.
cuevision
Phidgetsian

Post by cuevision »

Thanks again!
Will give it a try.

Ed
cuevision
Phidgetsian

Post by cuevision »

Hello again

Sorry, but all black connectors were already for each dual relayboard connected. Still no change. Aint there no other way to connect a extern 5V? And perhaps this will say you anything more; from all 5 boards, only one relay is functioning.

Thanks again,
Ed
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

Have you tried connecting only one relay board at a time? This will help to determine whether it really is a power issue.

When you have relays that don't work, do you still hear the relay switching, or is it silent?

If you switch the 0 and 1 wires when you've confirmed the 0 is working, does the 1 start working?
cuevision
Phidgetsian

Post by cuevision »

Again thanks for your patience and great service.

I found out that the relayboards are damaged. I have just bought a new dual relayboard to test. This new board works on both relays. With the same configuration, I tested the three other boards. One of them
is dead on both relays. From the other two boards only one relay is working.

This means that all three boards are failing. I want to repair them. Can you tell me the types D1(JA>), U1(5516?) and R1(153) are?

Thanks and regards
Ed
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

If they are still under warranty, you can contact support to get replacements sent out.

Assuming your board is the 3053, here are the parts:
D1: MMSZ5232BT1
R1: 69.8 ohm resistor (0603 size)
U1: FDD10AN06A0
cuevision
Phidgetsian

Post by cuevision »

Hi again.

Thanks for your fast reply. I think I have found out what caused this catastrophy. Statical electricity. Just some hours ago, I returned one of the boards to my vendor. He gave me a replacement board and all went fine. I was sitting on my chair, stood up to mount it into my simulator and touched one of the control leads. A sparke jumped over and now this board is dead too :roll: . So I now understood why all happened. I am very sad. The only possibility left is to replace the components on the boards.

My boards are all 3051. Does this change the components you mentioned.

Thanks and regards,
Ed
Last edited by cuevision on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.