Controlling gravity-fed valve

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
frodegill
Phidget Mastermind

Controlling gravity-fed valve

Postby frodegill » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:59 pm

It is time to start thinking about the annual spring technology/art exhibition at work. This year I am thinking of providing two flowerpots, sticking a 3130 in each of them, and having a 1011 or 1018 control gravity-fed valves with water bottles above them to keep the humidity in each pot at a preset (and different) value (thus displaying an automatic and higly controllable flower watering system, and having something people can bet at, "Will humidity at X% or Y% make the best growing flower?")

Questions:
* Will the 3130 be suited for measuring humidity in a flowerpot?
* I think I need a flow switch like this or this. Does anyone here have experience or suggestions on how to set up the system, and what switches/valves to use? For this, cheaper will be better, but anything is better than nothing.. (I guess 5VDC is preferrable, or I will need a relay board?)

mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Controlling gravity-fed valve

Postby mparadis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 am

The 3130 should be able to measure humidity inside the soil, although I'm not sure how it'll behave immersed in a solid (for example, if there would be moisture inconsistencies throughout the soil, or how long it'll take for the water to reach the depth that the sensor is buried at).

Return to “All Other Phidgets”