Is my fob Phidget RFID (EM4102)?

Technical Discussion on the PhidgetRFID
slim_j
Fresh meat

Is my fob Phidget RFID (EM4102)?

Postby slim_j » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:28 am

Hi all,

My fob is unmarked and I think it is the Phidget and is it EM4102 - can someone please let me know?

http://i62.tinypic.com/2cnwhs7.jpg (sorry can't seem to embed the image)

Also, will the PhidgetRFID Read-Write 1024 copy this OK and can the software allow me to amend the name/data on it? It straight forward to use?

Many thanks,

slim_j

mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Is my fob Phidget RFID (EM4102)?

Postby mparadis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 am

You can't determine whether a tag is read/write or read only just by looking at it; you need to have an RFID reader. If you didn't get it from us, there's no guarantee what sort of protocol and chipset is being used.

If that tag is from Phidgets, it is the 3902, which is a read-only tag, so you wouldn't be able to change the data on the tag. With a 1024 and some read/write tags, you would be able to read the data from the first tag and copy it to others, though.

slim_j
Fresh meat

Postby slim_j » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks for the reply.

Does the fob/tag have to be from Phidgets for the 1024 to read / write the data? Or does the 1024 have the ability to read write any RFID fob/tag?

As a side question, I backup my fob so I have 2. One is then cancelled by the office - will the other then not work too or will it still work OK?

slim_j

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:30 pm

The tag doesn't need to be from phidgets but it must have a compatible chipset and protocol. The 1024 can read tags with the T5577 chipset, and it can read EM4100 series protocols and the ISO11785 FDX-B protocol.

If you backup a tag and the first one gets cancelled, the second one will effectively be cancelled because the office will actually remove the tag's ID from the list of accepted tags in their database.

It's also worth mentioning that depending on the level of security, copying a tag may not work because they may employ dynamic IDs (ID changes according to a private algorithm each time the tag is read).

Return to “RFID”