Extend range

Technical Discussion on the PhidgetRFID
Tmac
Fresh meat

Extend range

Postby Tmac » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Hey I know this has been asked before but I thought I would ask again.

Is there any way to have a longer range for RFID with phidgets? Like a couple of feet? I know it's possible with different types of readers than the phidgets one. With powered antennas and different frequencies.

I just thought that someone may have figured out how to modify this reader to have a powered antenna or something. Another thought I had was if anyone figured out a way to program a different reader? I know phidgets has suggested getting some components from digikey.ca in their help files and I've found a reader that may have a little more kick. (http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en ... ND/1894345) But I know it's probably not supported by the phidgets API or whatever.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!
Thanks

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Extend range

Postby Patrick » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 am

You generally won't get a couple of feet out of passive tags. In order to get a couple of feet, you would need an exponentially larger and more powerful antenna. There are other tag technologies, such as UHF and active tags which can give a larger read distance.

-Patrick

Tmac
Fresh meat

Re: Extend range

Postby Tmac » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Hey Patrick,

From what I've been able to figure out, the reader that I had linked to in my first post is UHF and should be capable of about 3 feet. It connects through usb but my problem is programming it. I can't imagine I could program it through phidgets API since this component is not from phidgets. but that's going to be my problem with any other type of RFID as well.

do you think there is any way to integrate another technology (UHF or active tag, etc.) into my regular phidgets programming?

Return to “RFID”