Water Pressure?

bill.trek5500
Fresh meat

Water Pressure?

Postby bill.trek5500 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Does anyone know if the force sensors will pick up how much water pressure is being exerted on an object being pushed through water? In other words, of the sensor is mounted to an oar and said oar is pulling through the water - would a sensor be able to measure the force of water on the oar.

I know they aren't waterproof - that's a different problem :)

mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Water Pressure?

Postby mparadis » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:24 pm

I suppose if you had a waterproofed force sensor it would probably be able to measure the force of the water. I don't know enough about the hydrodynamics to tell whether it'd be an accurate means of measurement.

If you're trying to measure the force of water on an oar, depending on the material of the oar and how you're allowed to modify it, you could use a load cell or some strain gauges along the length of the oar to measure the amount of strain in the material. From there, you'd just have to find some known forces to calibrate the sensor values against.

bill.trek5500
Fresh meat

Re: Water Pressure?

Postby bill.trek5500 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 am

Appreciate the quick reply - I am always impressed by the volume of talent and shared ideas on forums. I need to play around a bit, but you're spot on in that the way the water flows around the oar may create an unknown variable. The theory is that measuring force at several points along the width will help us determine proper placement in the water for the most power.

Return to “Robotics”