Controlling a Quad Motored Vehicle Through a Network Connect

retroy
Fresh meat

Controlling a Quad Motored Vehicle Through a Network Connect

Postby retroy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:23 pm

I have mounted 4 drive motors/wheels from salvaged Powerwheels vehicles on a Lawnboy mower and am using a deep cycle battery for the power source. I would like to control it by installing onboard a spare laptop (Vista) along with an Eye Toy camera and a 1064_1 controller, and operating it from my primary laptop using a PS style controller plugged into the USB port. I have a Linksys 'N' router that covers my yard. I don't have the specs on the drive motors and was wondering if the 1064_1 could handle two motors per 'side' for left / right control. Also, is there a way to get a full screen image from an Eye Toy camera? Thanks!

CDR Bill
Phidgetsian

Re: Controlling a Quad Motored Vehicle Through a Network Con

Postby CDR Bill » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't know what power your motors will draw, but to move a mower I think it will require more than the 1064 controller will handle. You may be better off getting something like a Sabertooth 2x25 controller and using a phidgetservo controller to control it.

I have a power wheelchair with two 20A motors and use this setup to drive it. The wheelchair chassis weighs about 80 lbs with 2 large batteries.

danielaaroe
Phidgetsian

Postby danielaaroe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 am

May I suggest, like "CDR Bill", that you use a phidget servo controller in combination with a motor controller such as this one, for example:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResu ... controller

Ive used this before and its very easy to use. You control it just like you would a servo motor, except for the fact that you control the speed rather than position. Its also has a very short response time and goes from full forward to full reverse without any hassle(if thats something that you would like to do).

Its only 25 amps so you should test your motors stall current before you order any motorcontroller at all.

Good luck on the project!

Best regards,

Daniel

retroy
Fresh meat

Postby retroy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for the help/suggestions! I need to do some more research!

Return to “Robotics”