8/8/8 and Mixed servos/cmos outputs

maxhirez
Phidgetsian

8/8/8 and Mixed servos/cmos outputs

Postby maxhirez » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:55 pm

I am working on a Robotics project that involves using an otherwise expired Roomba as a base and using an old Powerbook as brains. I picked an 8/8/8 as the interface and am planning a two-relay-per-motor drive interface with switched electromechanical h-bridges. That leaves 4 outs for a primitive 1DOF arm with a gripper. I was planning on modifying servos to power the arm about the same way as the motors (except with stops.) It occurred to me that it might be possible to pulse the outs of the 8/8/8 directly to use the servos unmodified. Would it be possible to use two of the 8/8/8 outs, one as a V+ and one as the control to the servo white/yellow? What about using only one out as the control line with an external battery V+:would I risk frying the interface if I used an external power source and common ground to the control and power?

(Incidentally, here is a video of the robot with a primitive 2-nv brain installed. No arm yet and the eyes are now lit. May Benny Hill forgive me.)

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: 8/8/8 and Mixed servos/cmos outputs

Postby Patrick » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 am

Unfortunately, you can't use 8/8/8 outputs to control a servo motor. There's no way to get the pulse resolution/speed/stability required.

-Patrick

maxhirez
Phidgetsian

Re: 8/8/8 and Mixed servos/cmos outputs

Postby maxhirez » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:29 pm

As always, thanks for the direct/correct answer, Patrick! Modded servos it is for the time being.

Return to “Robotics”