Underwater ROV

Clam

Underwater ROV

Postby Clam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 am

We are attempting to build a underwater ROV for our robotics tech. class. we have no idea where to start. any offerings of gratitude?

elcray

Re: Underwater ROV

Postby elcray » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Clam wrote:We are attempting to build a underwater ROV for our robotics tech. class. we have no idea where to start. any offerings of gratitude?

First question I have is, does it have to be wireless, or can it have a tether? If wireless, you have your work cut out for you. That means a power supply (most likely in the form of a battery), and a wireless processor (most likely in the form of a PDA; like the IPAQ 211 @ $450).

If tethered is an option, I don't see it being that difficult. Once you figure out the design of the sealed container, you are looking at most likely a couple servo controllers, some servos for steering, and motor and motor controller for drive, and some type of prop for propulsion. What I'm not sure of at this point is how you will drive the Z axis. Subs pump water in and out to rise and fall. You are going to find that to be difficult.

Does that get you started?

Clam

Postby Clam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 am

whoa dude! thanks! i think. well, were in a robotics rech class, so were kinda new at this stuff.

were doing a wireless one. i think were on to something, but if we need any help, i'll be sure to check back! great site! really!

~Mark, remember that name.

sthone

Postby sthone » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:48 pm

I think your going to find the wireless route almost impossible to accomplish when it comes to an underwater Rov. Most wireless signals will not penetrate underwater more then a few feet, a tether is pretty much the only way to go.

I have used the phidgets 0/16/16 for basic on/off control of one of my Rov's, I only used the board topside as an interface into my laptop but you could use it onboard the Rov if you used a USB extender. The is a lot involved when building Rov's but if you need some ideas you can try the yahoo group "Robotrov" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/robotrov/ or have a look at my site http://www.homebuiltrovs.com

-Steve

Donuteh

Postby Donuteh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:16 pm

elcray wrote:
Clam wrote:We are attempting to build a underwater ROV for our robotics tech. class. we have no idea where to start. any offerings of gratitude?

What I'm not sure of at this point is how you will drive the Z axis. Subs pump water in and out to rise and fall. You are going to find that to be difficult.

I remember when my dad painted a couple of ROV's (long time ago), what they did was made the body out of Styrofoam, which everyone knows, floats quite well, the weight of everything else would counter this to some extent. they had to balance the weight with the amount of Styrofoam used in order to achieve a Neutral buoyancy they called it. then it would float at whatever depth the ROV happened to sit. when placed in the water, the ROV would sit just below the surface.

I know that the most difficult part of the ROV was the umbilical cord, it had to be one that would float, a normal cable would just drag the thing down, This cable is fairly expensive but may be required depending on the depth required.

I don't know if this helps or not but it's a cheaper and easier way then trying to figure out how to pump water in and out of tanks.

mrsmith1284

Postby mrsmith1284 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:39 pm

As mentioned above, robotrov group is a great place for information.

Interestingly enough, I'm currently in the design phase of my own ROV. I would say that the first step should be to sit down and determine what it is you want it to do. How deep? Should it have a manipulator? You and your team need to make a list of what you want it to do. The next step is to determine what the ROV must do to accomplish these "Requirements." Along the way you will probably find that you can't accomplish some of your "Requirements" which is perfectly fine, and part of the design process.

By that point, you should have a good idea of how to proceed.

Return to “Robotics”