Stronger Motors for Robotic use

markavdb@hotmail.com

Stronger Motors for Robotic use

Postby markavdb@hotmail.com » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:18 pm

I am looking at controling some stronger servos but want to use the Phidget servo controlers if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should doe? Specifically I am interested in what servos with solid metal bearings I should use and who do I go about controling them and providing them power?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks-

Donuteh

Re: Stronger Motors for Robotic use

Postby Donuteh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm actually looking for something too, I don't need a servo that's capable of picking up a car, but a 2 liter bottle of pop would be nice to have it pick up (and maybe crush it, just because it would be cool).

danielaaroe
Phidgetsian

Postby danielaaroe » Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Check out mg 995 from ebay. $14 a pair with solid metal gears and double ball bearings. they are not as presice as the hitecs, but they are pretty fast and strong(15kg/cm @ 6v). Have used them for lots of apps and you wont fint stronger standard size servos at that price.

NOTE: I've gotten some thats not 100%. where the gear is a bit malfuntioning and stuff. But you get 4 of these for the price of one hitec which is half the torque.

Greets,
Daniel

theTroll527

Postby theTroll527 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm

You should be able to use just about any servo you want as long as you use a MOSFET to handle the higher power requirements and use the Phidget Server Controller as the driver for the MOSFET.

I am sure that Robert/Patrick would know of some MOSFET that would be able to be driven with the Phidget and would work well for this.

theTroll

Robert

Postby Robert » Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 am

You don't need a MOSFET. Power and control signals are completely independent on a servo motor.

The 1061 will handle over 1.5 amps of power to a servo motor. If you need more, just pull the power wire out of the connector, and connect it to an external power supply.

Return to “Robotics”