Sensor data not coming from Phidget without reconnecting

Supporting 10.7 and up
davidestevens
Phidgetly

Sensor data not coming from Phidget without reconnecting

Postby davidestevens » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:10 am

Phidget 8/8/8 connected to USB port on Retina MacBook Pro (mid 2012)
In Control panel, Phidget InterfaceKit 8/8/8 shown
(Double clicking on that item - in the window that opens it says Attached:Nothing even though data is coming through to Max)
2 IR sensors (1 using Fidget IR Distance Adapter, the other without)
connected to Fidget (Phidget21 - v2.1.8 Jan 4 2016)
Max 7 patch with PhidgetInterfaceKit
1. Boot Mac
2. Start Max
3. Open patch.

The only data coming from the PIK at this point is [di] & [ai]- with no values.
To get actual sensor data streaming I either have to disconnect & reconnect the USB cable or (I just discovered ) the sensors. Doing one or the other causes data to flow from the Phidget.

This is not the end of the world when I'm developing at home, but I'm working on a permanent installation where I can't ask the people running the system (teachers!) to replug anything (besides which, all that kind of stuff is going to be inaccessible for safety reasons).

Is there something I can do about this? Perhaps a message sent to the PIK? (Start or setSampleRate don't do it). Or might there be something wrong with the Phidget? (Or is this expected behaviour?)

thanks

David

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Sensor data not coming from Phidget without reconnecting

Postby Patrick » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:36 am

You won't be able to open the Phidget from the control panel and Max at the same time.

As I understand this, when you reboot the mac with the Phidget plugged in, you aren't able to get data from it until you unplug it or unplug the 2 IR sensors attached to it?

Does this only happen after a reboot, or every time you try to run your Max patch?

Can you get values from the Phidgets using the control panel right after a reboot, without running Max at all?

-Patrick

davidestevens
Phidgetly

Postby davidestevens » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 am

>As I understand this, when you reboot the mac with the Phidget plugged in, you aren't able to get >data from it until you unplug it or unplug the 2 IR sensors attached to it?

That's correct. _Or unplug the USB connection, which is what I've been doing up till now.

>Does this only happen after a reboot, or every time you try to run your Max patch?

Only after a reboot. Once the connection is actually made, if I quit and restart Max (or close & reopen the patch), then I immediately get a data stream from the Phidget

>Can you get values from the Phidgets using the control panel right after a reboot, without running >Max at all?

Just restarted, then opened control panel & dbl clicked to open the PKI window. That window shows nothing connected, until I unplug & reconnect the USB lead, at which point it's showing the data coming from the board. So I guess it's either the board or my mac. I'll install the driver on my "office" mac and see if it's the same there.

EDIT. Same issue on a different mac (mac mini). I also tried starting up with the IR sensor that _isn't connected via a phidget interface disconnected, but that didn't make any difference. I'll go & look to see if I have another PIK, but I think this is the only one I have left.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:25 am

What version of OSX are you running? We've heard some reports of this type of behaviour on the latest version, but have had trouble reproducing in the office.

-Patrick

davidestevens
Phidgetly

Postby davidestevens » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:43 am

OSX10.11.6 on both machines

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:30 pm

This bug has been fixed in the latest release.

-Patrick

davidestevens
Phidgetly

Postby davidestevens » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks Patrick,

Sorry to be a bit dim, but do you mean the latest release of OSX, or has there been a firmware update for the board.
Thanks.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:39 am

The latest release for OS X - released yesterday.

-Patrick

Return to “macOS”