Phidgets app and control panel with j-type TC

Supporting 10.7 and up
Prescott CR
Phidgetsian

Phidgets app and control panel with j-type TC

Postby Prescott CR » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 pm

Hello all-

While troubleshooting a (what turns out to be a network) issue I thought there might be a problem with my USB board and or the j-type TC that had been attached to it for several months and reporting temps through a Phidget SBC3.

To do this I broke out a Mac Mini C2D that I don't use on a regular basis, only to connect to the SBC over ethernet when I need to do so.

I updated the Mini to the 2015 Phidgets Pref pane and App package. When I launched the Preference pane for Phidgets it had to restart in 32bit mode (if that's the right term).

So this is the weirdness- When I pulled up the SBC (connected via ethernet) and then double clicked on the USB board with the j-type TC attached, the App opened and it reported appropriate temperatures. When I attached the board with the TC attached directly to the Mini using the same USB cable and pulled up the App it reported errors for that TC, showing 'out of range' or something along those lines.

The TC actually has two sets of leads coming off it so I tried each set and each port of the board with no luck when directly connected to the Mini via USB.

Now that I have the networking working again with the SBC and the USB board attached to it this is not a big deal. I don't use the mini on a daily basis.

However, I like to use the mini to troubleshoot and in this case it caused more trouble than it shot! Anyone else having weirdness with the latest Pref Pane / App using a j-type TC? I un-installed and re-installed the Phidgets package thinking something wasn't right with my install, but that still didn't work out. Perhaps I didn't do that un/re-install properly?

And yes, I switched the type from k to j in the app with no joy :)

Thanx for any suggestions,

Rich

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Phidgets app and control panel with j-type TC

Postby Patrick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:35 am

That bit about being forced to open in 32-bit mode it pretty odd. Does the phidget21 library version show properly in the pref pane?

Something to try would be uninstalling the pref pane completely, and then reinstalling, and it should not force you to open in 32-bit mode. You can uninstall the pref-pane by option-control-clicking on it in system preferences and choosing remove.

-Patrick

Prescott CR
Phidgetsian

Re: Phidgets app and control panel with j-type TC

Postby Prescott CR » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:57 am

I'll bring that Mini home today and have a look. I suspected the restarting was a sign that something went a little left of center (so to speak).

Still, it reported properly with a k-type probe. That's confusing.

Rich

Return to “macOS”