can't run ScriptingAddition (osax) under 10.6

Supporting 10.7 and up
berkinet
Phidget Mastermind

can't run ScriptingAddition (osax) under 10.6

Postby berkinet » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:54 am

I had originally posted this as a follow-up on another related topic. But, after receiving no responses, I figured that maybe the actual problem was not clear enough. So here, as a fresh new clearly labeled topic, is my question:

I have been trying to run the ScriptingAddition in Snow Leopard and am unable to get it to run. I have placed phidget.osax in /Server/Library/ScriptingAdditions

The Script seems to recognize the additions since it pretty prints the functions appropriately (in blue). But, if I attempt to call IKConnect I get:

error "«script» doesn’t understand the IKConnect message." number -1708 from «script»

Is this a 10.6 issue? If so, is there a fix or workaround?

BlueMac

Re: can't run ScriptingAddition (osax) under 10.6

Postby BlueMac » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:16 am

Just tested - works fine on OS 10.5.7, and when I then use exactly same setup on 10.6.4 get same error as you reported.

Would really not like to uninstall Snow leopard on my Indigo Mac! Any possibility for an update or perhaps official Applescript support?

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 am

This incompatibility with Snow Leopard is a known issue. I'm not sure what causes it, but the original author isn't working on the addition anymore so there probably won't be a fix. I would like to provide official Applescript support from Phidgets, but I'm not when if/when that may happen.

-Patrick

rios

Postby rios » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 pm

@Patrick

So is the incompatibility under Snow Leopard and scripting additions with the FTDI drivers or the provided 'C' libraries? Does Phidget programming work under 10.6?

berkinet
Phidget Mastermind

Postby berkinet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:42 pm

The problem is with the ScriptingAdditions osax for AppleScript.

Other tools, such as Python, C++, etc. should work fine.

The osax does not play well under Snow Leopard. Depending on what you want to do, there are workarounds. To start, try setting the Script Editor to run in 32bit mode (get info about Script Editor). If you are calling the scripts from another program, or the shell, there are tricks with the "arch" and "osascript" commands to force 32bit mode as well. If you provide a bit more information about what you want to accomplish, and how, I can give you more help.

Also, I believe there is some light at the end of the tunnel regarding official support from Phidgets (as noted above). But, Patrick would have to comment on that.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm not sure why you keep referring to FTDI. Phidgets has nothing whatsoever to do with FTDI. We write all of our own custom Firmware/Drivers.

As for Applescript, we are working on official support, which should hopefully be out in the not too distant future. And it's going to be awesome.

-Patrick

rios

Postby rios » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 pm

@Patrick

Sorry I've been researching a lot of different USB microcontroller kits - I've got my wires crossed somewhere with respect to drivers and SDK's.

Return to “macOS”