BLDC phidget vanishes after firmware update

Supporting 10.7 and up
janvanhulzen
Fresh meat

BLDC phidget vanishes after firmware update

Post by janvanhulzen »

Hi,

after connecting the brushless dc phidget to my vint hub on my mac i was prompted to update the firmware. The device was recognized and listed in red. I then proceeded to update the phidget and the bar indicated that there was a download in progress. A message pop-up the appeared stating that the update was successful.

After this the phidget vanished from the list on the vint never to appear again. I have tried to reset and reconnect and have tried reinstalling firmware of the hub and even tried these steps on windows. No luck. So i suspect that the firmware update bricked the bldc phidget.

I am wondering if there is a recovery or reset that i can attempt?

thanks for any info...
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: BLDC phidget vanishes after firmware update

Post by Patrick »

Do you see anything in the control panel log?

Did you disconnect both power and the VINT cable from the BLDC VINT Phidget to make sure it really reboots?

-Patrick
janvanhulzen
Fresh meat

Post by janvanhulzen »

Thanks for your reply.

Today it worked again. Yesterday, i did disconnect the 12 V power to the BLDC phidget and when i reconnected it the problem described above occurred. I have a mac with parallels and win10 so i tried it there. No luck either. Today is suddenly worked again. Based on your reply i suspect that my mistake was not to disconnect the 12 V power to the phidget AND the connection from the BLDC phidget to the Vint HUB at the same time. This is the only thing i can think of which may explain this behaviour.

Thanks,
fraser
Engineering

Post by fraser »

One possible explanation is that the high capacitance on the BLDC means when you unplug 12V, it can take several seconds for it to fully discharge and become unpowered. So if you disconnect 12V only momentarily, it might not fully reset.