Phidgets22 & 8/8/8 semi-not working on Big Sur?

Supporting 10.7 and up
davidestevens
Phidgetly

Phidgets22 & 8/8/8 semi-not working on Big Sur?

Post by davidestevens »

I did a fresh install of Phidgets22 on MacOS 11 - Big Sur, on a Mac Mini.
Open Phidget Control Panel, and the Phidget 8/8/8 is shown as attached.
Open the I/O listing and click on eg voltage Input 0 (which has an IR (non-VINT) sensor with Distance Adaptor attached)

I get a Voltage Input window which says there's nothing attached, and the following error message:

Local device: <1010/1018/1019 (PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8) v904 S/N:278253> open failed because device is in use. Check that the Phidget is not already open in another program, such as the Phidget Control Panel, or another program you are developing.

I've tried restarting the Mac, and dis- and re- connecting the 8/8/8.

I'm using Max 8, and have installed the v22 Phidget patches. I have had a similar problem before whenever I install Phidget on a new machine, but a restart has usually fixed it. So I don't know if there's a setup step that I've missed or if there is a problem with Phidget22 & Big Sur. I _did have the Phidget21 control panel installed, but I've now removed that (and anyway, it seems to be co-existing with v22 ok on my iMac).

Known problem or operator error?

thanks

Edit: The installer doesn't seem to have installed Phidget.kext . And I Wasn't asked to accept it in Security and Privacy when I installed v22. So that's probably the problem, but how do I fix it? Manually drag the kext file into Extensions?

And there are no folders or files (that I can see) installed in /Frameworks either.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Phidgets22 & 8/8/8 semi-not working on Big Sur?

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

Are you installing the 1.6.20201113 release?

Did the installer complete successfully?

I tested this release specifically on Big Sur on 3 different macs on Friday, and didn't see any issues.

As for the kext - if you've even installed phidgets (21 or 22) on this machine, reinstalling won't ask for kext permissions again.

When you start the (phidget22) control panel - are there any error messages? This checks for and loads the kext, and will tell you if the kext is missing.

You're saying after install - that the kext and Frameworks files are missing? - /Library/Extensions/Phidget.kext and /Library/Frameworks/Phidget22.framework ?

The current installer loads the kext during install and doesn't require a reboot - just that any Phidgets are reattached.

What model of mac mini are you using?

Thanks,
-Patrick