Many of our customers integrate the products we sell into their own systems, sometimes selling that system as their own product. For customers that plan on making large quantities of product, it's important to know the product lifecycle of our parts, so you know you won't have to change your design because a part went obsolete. To view the product lifecycle information, click on the icon next to the part number on that product's page:
In order to fully understand product lifecycle, we have to make a distinction between products Phidgets Inc. designs and produces versus products that are purchased from other suppliers and manufacturers.
For products we design, we have a high degree of control over how long they're available. Generally, you'll find that they fall under one of three categories:
- Recommended for New Designs: You should feel safe including this product in your design, as we'll try to always have this product available for the foreseeable future. If a chip or sensor on this product becomes obsolete, we'll update it and try to keep the function and form factor (mounting holes, size, etc) the same.
- Mature: We intend to continue producing this product, but we're not as confident that you should use this in your design. In many cases, there is a newer product in the same category that is a safer choice for designs that are meant to last for a long time.
- End of Life: We won't produce any more of this product, and it will be discontinued when we run out. In most cases, the intended replacement will be listed in the product lifecycle information.
The products we design include USB Phidgets such as InterfaceKits and PhidgetSpatials, VINT Devices and VINT Hubs, analog sensors, and SBCs.
The majority of parts sold on Phidgets.com are sourced from other manufacturers and suppliers. This includes motors, load cells, mechanical parts and cables. Unexpected changes in the supplier's catalog or pricing can result in products becoming unavailable despite our best intentions. When looking at lifecycle information for these products, you'll see three categories:
- Recommended for New Designs: We plan to continue selling this product for the foreseeable future. If it becomes unavailable, we'll try to find a suitable replacement.
- Qualified: We plan to continue selling this product, but due to the nature of the product, there may be small differences in future stock. For example, a 180cm USB cable might change to a different colour, or might have a slightly different shape of plastic moulding on the plugs. The functional specifications of the cable (such as length, gauge, and shielding) would be unchanged.
- End of Life: We won't order any more of this product, and it will be discontinued when we run out. This can be due to any number of reasons, including price changes, obsolescence, or low demand.