Products for USB Sensing and Control
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:27 pm 
Fresh meat

Hello all,

We want to make an exhibit type game that has three stations, each station with three cut-outs to set something in. If the right piece is set in the cut-out a light flashes and a score on a screen is updated. I'm thinking rfid is best and in doing research, phidgets seems to come up as a respected brand, so here I am.

My preliminary research suggests that I will need a total of 9 rfid readers (3 cut-outs in 3 different stations) and then at least 9 passive rfid tags to be placed inside the individual pieces. Then I can write a program that compares the data sent, to the reader that sent it. If it's correct increment the score by 1 and send a signal (x10 maybe?) to illuminate the light.

My experience is in perl/python/php/javascript so I'm comfortable with getting the programming done - it's the hardware that I'm trying to figure out.

I would love feedback on phidgets products that would make my goal easier to attain.

Thanks much!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:12 am 
Human-Cyborg Relations

You are correct. You will need 9 readers (P/N 1023), and 9 tags (P/N 3007-3009/3900-3914) for what you are trying to do. The RFID readers also have a port that is capable of driving an LED so you could use some LEDs as the light that flashes.

What type of tag you use depends on what size and shape the cutouts are.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 am 
Engineering

just remember the reader has a 3-5" read range depending on what tag you use, so keep that in mind when designing the cutouts/inserts. The readers have a digital out on them so that could provide the activation you need for turning on a light