Products for USB Sensing and Control
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 pm 
Fresh meat

I want to use the 1063 bipolar stepper controller with a more powerful 8-wire stepper motor. The motor can be wired to 4 contacts on the board either in series or parallel.

Is either way supported, or are there any considerations here with regards to the board?

The stepper motor primer, nor the documentation for 1063 don't really say anything about this.

Thank you,

Pavel

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:35 am 
King of the Lab

Both methods are supported. The 1063 Product Manual shows how to connect the 8-wire stepper motor in series (although I will admit that it doesn't explicitly say that it is being connected in series). The current consumed in either configuration might be limited by the 1063. This may result in some rough movements, or no movement at all, in one configuration or the other.

Some considerations to consider:
1. In parallel, current consumption will be higher, inductance will be lower. Motor will be be able to run at higher speeds but at lower torque.
2. In series, current consumption will be lower, inductance will be higher (larger voltage spikes when turning on and off the motor). The motor will have high torque but lower speed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:59 pm 
Fresh meat

This was quite helpful, thank you!

I'll try it out and see if I have any more concerns...

Pavel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:02 pm 
Fresh meat

I've tried it out in both configurations, and it seems to match your description.

One thing I'm having trouble with is at some speeds the motor noise is very loud while at some it's much quieter. I also noticed that different speeds the motor noise pitch changes, almost like music notes.

Is there anything I can do to bring the noise down?

Is this more due to the type of motor I'm using, or is it due to how 1063 is stepping the motors?

Pavel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:26 pm 
Lead Developer

The noise follows the step rate - ie 1000 steps/second will produce a 1Hz sound. The volume of this sound will really depend on the characteristics of your stepper motor - where it is happiest resonating. There's really not a lot you can do - maybe just make sure the stepper is firmly bolted down to damp the vibrations a bit.

-Patrick