Products for USB Sensing and Control
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEED HELP WITH SETUP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:50 am 
Hey Guys, I was tasked with making a scaled down version of a moving platform for a flight sim. in regards to mechanical skills; i have 18 yrs experience in helicopter aviation as a mech., avionics mechanic, and aircraft electrician. Computer skills; i can get around and get things to work, simple plug and play and a little trouble shooting LOL! Basically I was given (3) 8wire stepper motors and a Phidget unipolar stepper interface p/n 1062. i was able to test the motors through the interface. I need to do a full motion demonstration with a joystick controller. After looking at the program manager and opening other files. i noticed other apllications were unable to be used like the Accelerometer settings and so on. when i was given this stuff and I was told that i had everything i needed. I know im missing a few more components. Like a mentioned earlier i need to this platform to move just like a real flight sim, and present this as a prototype and demonstrate it. Can any body help me and tell me what else do i need to complete this project. i noticed a little joystic controller on the websites store. I think thats a start! Please Advise

Woody

Post subject: Re: NEED HELP WITH SETUP
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:49 pm 
Fresh meat

Your going to need some sort of joystick, Depending on how cheap you co do something similar to my ROV Control... I am building an ROV with Phidgets and using an XBOX 360 (for windows) controller to control my ROV. You could go down to WorstBuy CompUSA Etc and get yourself a HID Complaint Joystick and program that to control your phidgets devices like I have or if you are building custom you are going to need inputs like the interface kits.

If its a genuine proof of concept/prototype then I would go the cheap joystick route then on the demonstrator version go for the custom controls. You didn't mention how you planned to "control" everything are you writing the control software and what language are you using? Those will also be factors.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Phidgets are really tough (basically useless) if you don't know how to write software.

Chester

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 am 
I wasnt aware that I was supposed to write software. I wasnt told that when given the poject. I dont have any experience writing software. It looks like this might be a lil more complicated then what i was told. thank you :)